Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Changing it up

Decided to do a 60 minute spin class today. Haven't really worked out in about a week after being sick. Felt great to get back on the proverbial horse.

Felt really good to do something different. Sometimes when we have a single purpose goal in mind we can get stuck in a training rut. For me, it tends to be run, run, run, run, run, lift, run, run, lift, run..... I forget sometimes that my body needs variety for a couple of reasons.

1) Muscle confusion - when your body is always moving in different ways and with different demands, your body does not get a chance to get used to a workout (i.e. plateau). It's like a tolerance. Think about it like drugs. Sooner or later you're going to need more and more and more to achieve the same effect because your body no longer is challenged (or satisfied, in the drug sense) by the same amount.

2) Prevent injury - repetitive motion you at a higher risk for injury.

3) Sometimes trying something new or different, or going back to an old love can be fun! This week I plan to try a few different things. Today I did the spin class because I used to do it a lot more in the summer/fall. I'm looking around into trying some hot yoga, and Friday I want to try a Soldier Fit class. I am still running with my group tomorrow night and Sunday morning, but I'm hoping that will be what I need to shake it up and jump start some more weight loss!

No comments:

Post a Comment