Friday, January 20, 2012

Where will this take me?

It can be so tempting sometimes to eat junk food or to emotionally eat. I used to do this all the time. When I had a good day, we'd celebrate with food. When I had a bad day, I'd comfort myself with food. When I was stressed, I would mindlessly eat while I was worrying about something. Often I am most tempted by junk food when I do not pre-planned my food choices for the day. I then do not have the guilt from straying from my plan, and the junk is often convenient and easy to grab on the go.

Something I learned to do with my initial 50lb weight loss was to change the way I think about food. Food is simply fuel for your body, the nutrients your body needs to keep performing at optimal level. There are many highly processed, edible "food-like" substances that we confuse for actual FUEL sometimes. Food is not a reward, it is not a solace, it is not a friend.

Now, when I am thinking about eating something that I know is bad (cognitive dissonance big time here!), I look at it and say (sometimes out loud) "Will this help me achieve my goals or will this put me one step further away from them?" Many times the actual eating of the food is so enjoyable, but afterward there is the guilt, the upset stomach, etc... so I now also ask myself"How will I feel AFTER I eat this?"

Don't get me wrong - there are times and places for planned splurges. If I know that I am going to go out for dinner, I will intentionally fill up during the day on healthy snacks, fruits, veggies, etc (do not read "starve myself" here, just good planning), so I have some calories leftover.

But, the next time you are looking down the barrel at a double bacon cheeseburger or a mile high piece of chocolate cake, stop and think - where will this take me?

No comments:

Post a Comment